Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Spring



Just like snowflakes, there are no two seasons exactly alike and there is beauty to be found in each one.

Every year, each season is different than the last, and this spring is no exception.

Here in the Midwest, we had a fairly mild winter, so with that comes the fun of seeing who is going to emerge as the victors in the spring.

So far, my observations are that the blue jays, squirrels, wasps and bumble bees (the fuzzy huge freaks of nature, not honey bees) are flourishing like crazy! Let’s hear it for the winners!

I have not seen one hummingbird yet, even though I heard that they returned and have had my feeder out for a week anxiously awaiting their arrival.

The geese have come, left their mark, i.e. droppings, and are now gone to where I have to assume is sitting on their nests hatching their young. Goslings are adorable!

The deer have been in and out of my yard, but not to any large degree, so we will see if any fawns show up in June with their Mommies. I do hope I get to see at least a few of those cuties.

In contrast to last spring after a long, cold, snowy winter where the mosquitoes, ticks and fleas were abundant, I have not had to deal with much of those yet, however, I did notice 3 bats this last weekend while soaking in my hot tub, so I have to assume the mosquitoes are out there, somewhere.

The coyotes have made a comeback after someone in my area took it upon themselves a few years ago to "thin the herd" Grrrrr!   Circle of life, people!

The bass in my pond not only survived but thrived over the winter, and by the looks it, my grass carp did as well. This will make for a much more pleasant swimming experience this summer not having to feel the weeds around my feet.

The trees, bushes and flowers are bursting back to life daily showing off their vibrant colors and scents. This never gets old.

One of the things that never seem to change regardless of the severity of the prior winter is how well the dandelions in my yard always do! Just once it would be nice to have a perfectly lush green lawn minus them, but they do serve a few purposes, (though I don’t see myself cooking them or making any wine, the honey bees seem to like them), so they will never be anything that I will fight too hard to get rid of.

My least favorite and saddest parts about every spring is the abundance of dead wild life on the roads, and the “free kittens and puppies” signs that dot the telephone poles around the county.

(Picture me on my soapbox here)

With all of the reduced and free spay and neuter services available now, I just cannot understand why anyone still allows for their animals ( city or country people, house or barn animals) to reproduce, knowing how many innocent animals get put down every single day.

Enjoy all of the beauty, newness and renewal that spring has to offer, just please don’t make one of springs newness’s be an unplanned animal that may have to be put to death due to no fault of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment