Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Next Steps


 


Included in my severance package, was a subscription for a career placement company, and to kick that service off, I had to sit in on a webinar to hear what they had to offer.

I had been so busy with the holidays, and a relentless cold, that I didn’t have much time to think about my redirection from my Corporate America role to my unemployed role, so, when the call came in to set this webinar up, my gut immediately reminded me of which role I was now playing.

Oh, yeah, that…

So, finally, after a less than professional start to their webinar, I listened to the company talk about what steps needed to occur to get ready for my next job search. Truthfully, I didn’t want to be on this call; I didn’t want to be in this position, but I knew the value of their service, so I sucked it up and tried to make the best of it.

They talked about the importance of networking, LinkedIn and all of  the Social Media channels, the elevator speech, resume writing, interviewing and on and on; all topics that I was aware of already, all topics that I didn’t want to hear about right now.

What was wrong with me?!

Now, only half listening to the webinar, I stared out the window and watched a Red Tail Hawk floating on the wind, searching the ground below for his next meal. I thought to myself, he is sending me a message; “Fly and follow your passion, Meg!” and I thought to myself “Yes, that’s what I want to hear about right now!”

My prior career had never been about my passion, just a means to an end. And with that fleeting thought, the Hawk then flapped his wings furiously, which I interpreted to mean “You will have to work hard to get to your passion, it’s not as easy as my soaring in the sky appears”

That’s okay, I am okay with hard work if it means finally getting to my passion.

To those who think I am crazy, I stand behind my belief that we are always receiving signs and messages from the universe, but so many times, we choose to ignore them. I choose to watch very closely for signs, probably too much, but I don’t want to miss anything important, and I would like to point out that as soon as that webinar was done, I didn’t see the Hawk anymore.

Coincidence? I think not!

So, what are my passions, and next steps? Well, I am passionate about many things, but I am also very practical, so I am taking a two pronged approach to this. I am going to fully utilize the services offered to me and continue to look for a career in Corporate America, hopefully the creative side of it this time, and for the first time in my life, I feel that I am finally brave enough to pursue my other passion in writing.

Writing about what? Well, that’s still to be determined, but who am I to argue with universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment