Saturday, June 9, 2012

Letting Go




 
There comes a time in all of our lives, and throughout our lifetime, when we finally grow up, and we realize that we have to let things go in order to mature, blossom, move on and set ourselves free.

It can be letting go of anything from a past grudge, an unrequited love, frustrations for things beyond our control, or even body parts that are no longer serving us well, but rather making us sick.

It’s not an easy thing to do, but it is liberating when it you finally do it!

Take for example a past grudge. It could be as minor as someone at work taking your idea and getting the credit for it, or, as complicated as family and sibling issues over how your parent should be cared for in their golden years.
I will admit that holding a grudge makes you feel as though you are in control of the issue, but in all reality, you are not. The grudge is in control of you. It is making you live your life in certain restrained ways. You are not moving through life in the way that you would without having the grudge hold you back.

From the day that we are born, until the day we die, we need to let go of things in order to move forward.

As a small child, we stand outside of a pool, afraid to let go and jump in, afraid of the unknown.
However, by letting go of the side of the pool, we soon feel the rush of the cool water surrounding our bodies, the sheer joy of weightlessness and the blissful feeling of floating! None of those feelings can be found by standing by the side of the pool. We have to let go to experience them.

We fear the first day of school or the ride on the school bus, as we know nobody. But once we let go of that fear, we meet new friends, learn so many new things and we know that we will never be the same as a new world and all of its experiences are opened up to us.

I read it somewhere “if nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies”.

That statement has gotten me through so many times when I have questioned life’s trials for my own fears of letting things go.
Think about it, if the caterpillar did not let go of that seemingly safe, warm cocoon due to its fear of the unknown, look at the wonderful life it would be missing!
To float effortlessly among the flowers, if even for a brief life, is much better than staying in the tight cocoon.



My own personal struggle of letting go of body parts is another perfect example. For years, I had battled with female issues. The big “H” surgery came up more than once from my doctor, but I put it off repeatedly. I was not ready to let go of my reproductive organs. Not that I ever planned on having any more children, I just was not ready, however, more than just that, I really felt too young to go through menopause.

Finally, the day came that things got even worse and my body was not working the way that it should be because of my issues. I knew that I now had to make a decision.
After a long internal struggle, and many more discussions with others, I finally decided to have the surgery and let my diseased body parts go.
While still recovering, I was told by my doctor that it was a very good and necessary decision. My diseased parts were starting to infringe upon my healthy necessary body parts!
As far as my fears of menopause go, I am not as afraid anymore. In fact, surprisingly, I feel amazingly better! Free from the old pain, and issues.

Could it be that letting go has once again proved to be liberating?

I think so.

So, to reiterate, letting go is not only a necessity to move on, but it’s also liberating. Therefore, whatever you are holding onto that is not completely healthy for you, let go of it, enjoy the change that it brings, and watch yourself grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment